Log Entries - February 2000

DateChapterDescriptionHours
Tue 1 5 Glued all the doublers in place using flox. The long doubler was nailed in place and cut at the bends. 2
Wed 2 5 Removed the longerons from the jigs. Sanded all the shiny epoxy. Finished the fuselage side jigs by making sure both pieces of masonite are the same size. Glued 3/8" foam to size to make the sides. Each side was made from four pieces. Cut the foam to shape using the masonite as a jig. Setup the FJA, FJB, FJC, FJD, and FJE jigs on the table and bondoed them in place. 4
Thu 3 5 Layed the masonite sides onto the jigs and nailed them into place leaving a 7/8" gap between the top edges. I had to drill the nail holes to keep the jigs from splitting. Using small daps of 5 minute epoxy I attached the 3/8" foam to the masonite. I don't think I used enough bads. I dabbed mostly around the edges. I should've used more in the center. In the end I should be all right though. That's it until after next week - going skiing at Jackson Hole! 2
Sun 13 5 Rough cut the foam that goes around the perimeter of the fuselage. 2
Tue 15 5 Beveled all the foam to shape for one side of the fuselage. Used a hacksaw blade and sandpaper to make all the bevels. 2
Wed 16 5 Beveled all the foam to shape for the other side of the fuselage. Microed the two larger pieces at the aft ends of the fuselage. Used lots of nails to hold them in place. Made sure the surface was flat in the direction perpendicular to the upper edge. 3
Thu 17 5 Test fit LWX and LWY against the foam spacer. Cut the electrical channel in the aft portion of the foam spacer on both fuselage sides. Microed the spacers in place along the bottom edge of the right fuselage side. 2
Sat 19 5 Removed all the nails from the previously attached spacers. Microed into place all the remaining spacers around the edge of the fuselage sides. Made the circular depression in the fuselage sides for the control stick. 4
Sun 20 5 Made depressions for the fuel gauges. I will be using Vance Atkinson's fuel gauges. Test fit the longerons in place. Sanded the space between the two sides to ensure an even gap for longeron placement. Sanded all the foam smooth. Rounded all edges in preparation for glassing. Cleaned up a bit in preparation for the glassing of the sides. Placed box tape in place in fuel gauge depressions. Did a lot of studying and calculating. This including verifying the placement of the fuel guages. Also questioned how the longerons fit on the foam since the aft portion of the fuselage has a twist in it and the longerons don't. Nat replied to fill the space with flox which was my first solution. 5
Mon 21 5 I did the exhausting marathon step of glassing the fuselage sides and attaching the upper longerons. Microed the surfaces, filled dings and holes with dry micro. Layed out the first layer of glass. Wet that out. It took some work to get the glass to sit right in the depressions. Added the second layer and wet it out. Added peel ply to the bottom edges and the landing gear bulkhead area. Added Saran wrap to the depressions to get them to sit better. Floxed the longerons into place. Used lots of weights and clamps. Peel plied the upper edge below the longeron. Knife trimmed the electrical cutout. 11
Wed 23 5 Removed all the weights and clamps from the longerons. Removed all the peel ply. Sanded a radius on the longeron in preparation for the 4 layer UNI layup. 1
Fri 25 5 Played with a scrap of UNI to determine the best way to do the 4 layer layup over the upper longerons. Marked the proper location of the lower longeron based on the dimensions given in Figure 5-5. Cut a bunch of slits on the lower longerons so they would bend to the shape of the fuselage sides. Experimented with various ways to clamp them in place. Made some small wood blocks with 45 cuts in them. Test clamped the lower longeron with these blocks and it worked great. Floxed one lower longeron in place. 3
Sat 26 5 Cut all the glass for the 4 layer upper longeron layup. I made eight, 4.5" wide strips, 100" long. Each side will get four. I layed up four layers on the left longeron. I had problems with masking tape I used to keep the edges from fraying. When trying to remove the tape it would make a mess of the fibers. Probably worse than not using the tape. I peel plied where the layup met the fuselage side. 5
Sun 27 5 Applied the 4 layers of UNI on the other upper longeron. Floxed the other lower longeron into place. Glassed the inside of the electrical channel. Knife trimmed later. Made the electrical channel cover forms, covered with box tape, and glassed them with a ply of BID. 6
Mon 28 5 Floxed the lower longeron doubler, LWX, and LWY onto the right fuselage side. Added the BID tape to LWX and LWY. Removed the electrical channel covers from the molds and trimmed them. 2
Tue 29 5 Floxed the lower logneron doubler, LWX, and LWY onto the other fuselage side. Added the BID tape to LWX and LWY. Sanded down the previous nights layup. 5 minute epoxied the electrical channel cover in place on the right fuselage side. Cut foam to fill the space. Microed it into place. Weigthed it down to dry. Cleaned the workshop. It was getting a bit cluttered from all the chapter 5 work. 3
Monthly Total 57